This is not a prediction of who Coach Klinsi will summon for the Jamaica doubleheader in just a couple hours, it's who I would call.
G - Howard, Guzan
D - Cherundolo, Parkhurst, Goodson, Bocanegra, Lichaj, Pearce
D/M - Cameron, Spector
M - Edu, Jones, Diskerud, Kljestan, Feilhaber, Dempsey, Davis
A - Altidore, Boyd, Wondolowski, Johnson, Shea, Gatt
A few notes:
- Starters in boldface.... with all possible left
backs battling it out in camp. And while that doesn't include Johnson,
considering the current roster state, I'd not be against him starting
there in Jamaica.
- I've "called" Dempsey because Donovan appears to be unavailable. I think we can have Deuce around to off the bench, since he hasn't played a first team game yet this season. And since I am not counting on Donovan, Davis is in to provide late cross service and set pieces if necessary.
- I'm aware the some players who are set to be called are not here. For
instance, Tim Ream, who is having a struggle at Bolton right now. So that's why.
- Yes, the defense numbers seem relatively thin, but I would love to be able to keep it simple and play the same four all 180 minutes this time. And yes, that means Cameron (who can still be shifted to the back in case of emergency) gets his first USMNT start in defensive midfield. If he can do it against Arsenal, he can do it against Jamaica.
- Bringing Gatt along slowly has been fine, We've done that. Now, it's time to get for real. If he can motor 50 meters against Heerenveen, he can do it against Jamaica. Ya heard.
- UPDATE: I know some will howl, but I'm bringing Pearce in for the injured Castillo. I also considered Parke and John.
- Greg Seltzer