G - Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Tim Howard (Everton), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
D - DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting KC), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (Brøndby), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Augsburg)
M - Michael Bradley (AS Roma), Joe Corona (Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Maurice Edu (Bursaspor), Stuart Holden (Bolton), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Brek Shea (Stoke City), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Graham Zusi (Sporting KC)
F - Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Tottenham), Herculez Gomez (Santos Laguna), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders)
- Once again, narrow and cautious appears to be in. Yippee.
- So let me get this straight... the recently inactive trio of Shea, Williams and, yes, even Holden have proven worthy of call-ups, whereas Landon Donovan has not?
- I hate to wonder "out loud" like this, but is there some kind of bad juju between the boss and the old/fairly reliable guard? I'd be curious to learn of the last non-January camp before Klinsmann arrived that did not include any of Donovan, Bocanegra or Cherundolo.
- I've listed the squad as it appears on the USMNT release, begging the question of why both Beasley and Johnson were named as defenders when Castillo is around. Meanwhile, we've called one prototypical wing play presence. I still don't get it.
- And, erm, why is it we need six keepers in camp exactly? I'll swap two of them right now for a look at Conor O'Brien. I'd trade three and a proper stein of beer to be served later to see John Anthony Brooks.
Oh, well. Bloggers can't be choosers.
- Greg Seltzer