First off, though, we'll answer a request to post the full list of all-time top AZ Alkmaar single campaign scorers up from Jozy's Altidore's running sum of 30 goals (they have three games left to play this term).
39 Kees Kist 1981/82
36 Kist 1978/79
35 Kist 1977/78
30 Altidore 2012/13
And now to the interesting scraps beyond the MLSS article...
- Who are the next players Clint Dempsey can pass on the all-time EPL goal chart? His next (and 57th) strike will pull him level with Lee Bowyer and Harry Kewell. Two more catches Peter Beardsley, Niall Quinn and current West Ham man Kevin Nolan. Three goals evens Deuce up with Gianfranco Zola. Five ties him up with some David Beckham guy.
- All-time top US penalty shot stopper in English cup play? Try Brad Guzan, with three. Counting all matches combined, Tim Howard leads with 10, while Brad Friedel has nine. Believe it or not, Kasey Keller never stopped one in England, where he was 0-17 in EPL play.
- All-time top domestic cup scorers behind Altidore's 10? Dempsey with eight, then Matt Taylor's six and Brian McBride's five. That's right... I said Matt Taylor.
- Back to Dempsey, an amazing 20 of his 71 goals in England have come after the 75th minute. Of his 56 EPL goals, 25 were scored in the last half hour. And some people wonder why he's not subbed out late for Spurs, even if he's been quiet on the day.
- Speaking of some people being surprised, Sacha Kljestan's American record of eight career assists in European play has a couple of tasty stat layers. Not only has he rung up all those helpers in only 25 Champions League and Europa League outings, but half of them either set up an Anderlecht winner or a late equalizer. What's more, all three of his European goals put the Mauves on the board, two of them before 10 minutes had elapsed.
- Greg Seltzer